TASTE OF THAILAND
TASTE OF THAILAND – 14 DAYS
TRUE ADVENTURE IN THE
HIGHLANDS OF THE NORTH
2020 Dates: October 18-31
Cost: $6,445 includes Suzuki V-Strom 650
Upgrade Add: $500 for upgrade to Honda CRF 1000L Africa Twin
Duration: 14 days; 13 nights; 10 riding days
Terrain: 50/50 paved/unpaved
Location: This tour will take you through the most interesting mountain regions in Northern Thailand. You will visit Chiang Mai, Pai via Wiang Haeng, Mae Hong Son, Khun Yuam, Mae Sarieng and more…
Reservations: 50% of Tour Price is required as non-refundable deposit. Balance is due 45 days before tour start date.
Experience the Unforgettable:
ADVenture Motorcycle Riding in the North of Thailand! On this fully catered and supported guided tour, you will ride off to the northwest, along the famous Mae Hong Son Loop that begins in Chiang Mai and follows a circuitous route through most of the length of the Mae Hong Son province.
The riding will include some of the best curvy asphalt roads in the world, while also taking you ways off and into the countryside on exciting unpaved roads, bringing you through cascading waterfalls, awesome limestone formations, and villages that are rarely seen by the average tourist.
The Ojai MC specializes in location-specific motorcycle tours, where you get immersed in the landscape, the culture, and most of all the roads. On-road, off-road, or no-road, this part of South East Asia really has it all and the locals are our friends, so you will experience something totally unique. The mystique of Thai culture, the food, and the people.
It’s truly the friendliest place to experience “culture shock and total immersion”, especially if you’ve never been there before.
Day 1: Chiang Mai-Day
- Arrive, settle in, and collect the bikes for the first 5-day phase.
- Night 1 at Old City Wall Inn, Chiang Mai
Day 2: Chiang Mai to Pai via Wiang Haeng (250 kilometers / 155 miles)
- The first riding day takes you from Chiang Mai to Pai for your first overnight stay on the road.
- We can watch the sunset in the Pai Grand Canyon as it sets amidst the walls of this stunning canyon.
- Night 2: Pai Hotsprings Spa Resort, Pai
Day 3: Pai to Mae Hong Son via Ban Rak Thai (160 kilometers / 99 miles)
- On our way out of Pai, we’ll visit the Lod Cave, which can be explored on a bamboo raft as it has a stream running through it.
- You’ll also visit the Chinese village, Ban Rak Thai, on the Burmese Border for lunch and then we head back down the mountain going southwards to Mae Hong Son.
- Here you will find Lake Jong Kum, a perfect place to seek shade. Wat Chong Kham and Wat Chong Klang, twin Burmese-style temples are located in front of the beautiful lake and are conveniently close to the city center.
- The small lake is completely surrounded by a pristine public park where you can hang out with the lakeside vendors while watching the temple’s reflection light up the lake at nightfall.
- You can also ride up to Wat Phra That Doi King Mu. This temple atop Kong Mu Hill has amazing views of the entire valley and is particularly popular during sunset.
- Night 3: Fern Resort, Mae Hong Son
Day 4: Mae Hong Son to Khun Yuam via various unpaved roads (120 kilometers / 75 miles)
- We can also take an early morning trip up to Wat Phra That Doi King Mu, when you can watch the impressive view of the sea fog as it collects in the valley and later in the day.
- There is also a coffee shop located at the top with stunning views of the town and the surrounding valleys and mountains.
- Great photo opportunity at the bottom of the long stairway leading to the top.
- En route to Khun Yuam, we will take several interesting unpaved detours through the forests and high country.
- You’ll visit a beautiful lake and also see Nam Tok Mae Surin, the highest waterfall in Thailand, along the way.
- We will visit Wat To Phae, an atmospheric temple that sits alongside a rural stream and has an impressive “chedi” (tower).
- You can also check out the Thai Japan Friendship Memorial with interesting displays about the Japanese Occupation during WWII.
- Night 4: Mitkhoonyoum, Khun Yuam
Day 5: Khun Yuam to Mae Sarieng, Doi Inthanon (200 kilometers / 124 miles)
- We will ride on paved and unpaved roads in the Mae Chaem district and eventually all the way up, along the most scenic route to the highest mountain in Thailand: Doi Inthanon.
- You will pass through several Hill Tribe settlements in the area on the way to the stunning riverside setting of this interesting low-key town.
- Night 5: Riverhouse Resort, Mae Sarieng
Day 6: Mae Sarieng to Chiang Mai via Chomtong (260 kilometers / 162 miles)
- Mostly beautifully paved asphalt roads, curving your way back to the city of Chiang Mai.
- We will pass Hill Tribe settlements and might stop in at the interesting Weaving Museum for a look at the intricate methods used to create their beautiful fabric art.
- Night 6: Duangtawan Hotel, Chiang Mai
Day 7: Chiang Mai – Enjoy a free day of rest
- You have 3 nights in Chiang Mai again, doing a reset for the second phase of the tour.
- Saturday and Sunday will be free days for relaxing, sightseeing and/or exploring many optional excursions in and around Chiang Mai City.
- Like a visit to Elephant Nature Park, Flight of the Gibbon Zip-Lining Adventure, and/or a visit to the famous mountain-top temple Doi Suthep, just outside of Chiang Mai.
- Night 7: Duangtawan Hotel, Chiang Mai
Day 8: Chiang Mai – Another free day at the end of which we will collect the bikes again for the second 5 days of riding.
- Night 8: Duangtawan Hotel, Chiang Mai
Day 9: Chiang Mai to Mae Rim via Mon Chem (150 kilometers / 93 miles)
- The second 5-day leg of the tour starts and takes you to overnight near a gorgeous waterfall in the Mae Rim district near the high mountain Mon Chem.
- You’ll ride along the famous Samoeng Loop with many twists and turns.
- Night 9: Kangsadarn Resort & Waterfall, Mae Rim
Day 10: Mae Rim to Pai via Wat Chan (160 kilometers / 99 miles)
- You will go from Mae Rim to Pai via Wat Chan, following scenic backroads through the countryside.
- Night 10: B2 Pai Premier Hotel, Pai
Day 11: Pai to Doi Ang Khang via Huai Nam Dang, Meung Khong (230 kilometers / 143 miles)
- You will go from Pai to Doi Ang Khang via Huai Nam Dang, Meung Khong.
- Night 11: Saranya River House, Mae Ai
Day 12: Doi Ang Khang to Chiang Dao via Myanmar Border, Tha Ton Temple (223 kilometers / 139 miles)
- We’ll visit the fascinating Chiang Dao Cave and spend our last night on the road at the beautiful Chiang Dao Nest.
- Night 12: Chiang Dao Nest, Chiang Dao
Day 13: Chiang Dao to Chiang Mai via Wat Ban Den, Mae Khong Lake (160 kilometers / 99 miles)
- On day five of the second leg of the extended tour, we’ll make our way back to the city to arrive in Chiang Mai towards the late afternoon.
- Motorcycles will be returned and then we’ll enjoy our farewell dinner together, spending the last tour night in Chiang Mai.
- Night 13: I-River Chiangmai
Day 14: Departure on Saturday morning and we go our separate ways.
- 10-day motorcycle rental
- Basic helmet
- 13 nights’ accommodation
- Food & non-alcoholic beverages
- Airport transfer to Chiang Mai from Chiang Mai International Airport (CNX)
- Tour Guide, Sweep Rider, Support Truck & Driver, Tourism Authority Thailand Guide
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Fuel – $5 USD a gallon refuel fee, minimum of 3 gallons
- Riding gear (motorcycle jacket, pants, boots and premium helmet)
- Tolls, fines and violations
- Nature Park Entry Fees
- can ride for 3-4 hours
- average riding experience
- little assistance required
- comfortable with extreme curves and leans
- average experience with unsurfaced roads
- steep ascents and descents
- Minimum age: 21 years
- Passport valid for international travel
- International Driver’s Permit
- Valid driver’s license with motorcycle endorsement
- Good physical fitness
- Major Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express) for Damage Security Deposit. Debit cards not accepted for Damage Security Deposit
- $2,500 USD Damage Security Deposit will be pre-authorized at time of motorcycle check-out regardless of damage liability reduction packages purchased.
- These funds can be held up to 10 business days as a requirement of major credit card company policies and is beyond the control of Ojai Motorcycle Club.
- Personal travel insurance from your home country with your own required coverage of driving or being a passenger on a motorcycle of 700 cc or more (not in competition). Policy shall cover travel cancellation, medical, repatriation, liability and personal accident as minimum.
I am a very new rider is the trip for me?
We specialize in and enjoy teaching brand new riders. Whether you have street experience and no off-road experience or little motorcycle experience at all we will help you learn and master the basics by the end of the trip. We have a sweep guide that will make sure you have a great experience and can ride your own ride.
I’m an experienced rider, will I be bored?
Absolutely not! We’ve designed the trip to allow experienced riders to ride at the front of the pack and not have to worry about the rest of the group keeping up.
Where do I pack my stuff and keep my luggage?
Our support vehicle will carry any of your belongings that you do not wish to carry with you as you ride in the provided panniers on the motorcycle.
On all trips we can securely store additional luggage that you are not bringing on the ride.
- Ojai Motorcycle Club recommends all riders protect their financial situation by purchasing travel insurance on their tour package with Ojai MC and accompanying logistics with a trip insurance policy through Travel Guard.
- Ojai MC is not responsible for a participant’s inability to attend a tour due to any circumstances, whether they be health, family, environmental or weather-related.
- If a tour is canceled by Ojai MC ahead of departure because of lack of participation all deposits and balance payments are 100% transferable and refundable.
- Cancellations initiated by the participant received in writing to email@example.com with more than 60 days notice before tour start date will receive their 50% deposit as a credit to be used towards future tours or services with Ojai MC. The credit expires 1 year after issued.
- Cancellations initiated by the participant and received in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org with 60 or less days notice before the tour start date will forfeit their deposit as a cancellation fee.
- Any balance payments can be held on file as a credit to be used towards future tours and services with Ojai MC. The credit expires 1 year after issued.
- Cancellations initiated by the participant received in writing to email@example.com with 30 or less days notice before the tour start date will forfeit their deposit and any balance payments as a Cancellation Fee.
- Ojai MC reserves the right to cancel a participant’s tour during the tour if the participant is disruptive or putting themselves or others in harms way. No refund or credit will be issued.
If you are ready to book this tour,
please let us know by clicking on the link below.